Reasons for snoring we can control
- Being overweight and having excess fatty tissue around the neck.
- Smoking causes inflammation of the airways and irritates the nasal passages.
- Alcohol slows the brains responses causing more relaxation than usual.
- Medication, antihistamines and sleeping pills in particular, have the same effect as alcohol.
Reasons we cannot control
- Allergies which cause swelling of the nasal passages, Asthma, colds and sinus infections.
- Having a narrow throat, enlarged adenoids or a cleft palate all contribute to snoring.
- Ageing, middle aged men in general men have a wider neck and more soft tissue which causes vibration.
The main causes of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea
- Being overweight and having a lot of fatty tissue around the neck. However some people do have sleep apnoea who are not particularly overweight.
- Enlarged tonsils, especially in children.
Once sleep Apnoea is suspected a sleep study will be carried out to confirm the diagnosis.
How your dentist can help with snoring
There are many products on the market to help with snoring, but your dentist can fabricate a device that is custom made for you. It is called a Mandibular Advancement Device and works by holding your lower jaw and tongue forward therefore keeping your airway open whilst you sleep. Please speak to your dentist for further advice.